About us >>> History of The Diocese of Nalgonda
Most. Rev.Govindu Joji
,Bishop of Nalgonda
A fresh light on the early beginnings :
It was probably in the second half of the nineteenth century, the French Jesuit Missionaries stepped into the soil of Guntur District.
The prayer life and healing power of these missionaries made a strong impact on the people of Guntur region who had been searching for a new light. Consequently, there emerged a tiny community which embraced Catholic faith. It was the historic birth of Catholic Church in Andhra Pradesh. In the course of years these Catholic communities have grown and multiplied in number, which made them to search for new lands in the surrounding districts particularly in the Telangana districts. This was how the light of faith had been brought to the Districts of Telangana Region. In the beginning, a few Catholics from Rentachintala, Phirangipuram, Patibandla, Sattenapally, Thallacheruvu crossed Krishna river and spread all over the Telangana Districts.
Already in the year 1854, the PIME missionaries were at work in Hyderabad Diocese looking after the spiritual needs of Anglo-Indians and Tamil migrants who were working under the British Government.
The Catholics of Guntur District migrated to different parts of Telangana Region in small groups, starting from 1889. knowing the settlement of these new communities PIME missionaries began to visit them frequently and in course of time they have established parishes.
Nalgonda : The Tenth Diocese of Andhra Pradesh(1976)
The diocese of Nalgonda in Andhra Pradesh was erected on the 31st May 1976 with districts of Mahabubnagar and Nalgonda detached from Archdiocese of Hyderabad and diocese of Warangal respectively. Most Rev.Mathew Cheriankunnel PIME was made its first Bi